Saturday, March 2, 2013

Movie Of The Day: Gold Diggers of 1933

Let me start off with a tiny introduction:
On every day I have Internet access, I will post a movie review. This is a promise.
And, we are starting out with a strange one, because it isn't silent!
Gasp.
But, it is Pre-Code.
And a musical.
A Busby Berkely musical.
Any guesses?
No?
     Well, the amazing movie I am speaking of is Gold Diggers of 1933, from, 1933 (duh), starring the amiable Ginger Rogers, Joan Blondell, Dick Powell, and even Sterling Holloway makes an appearance.
It is a lavish extravaganza, with a really nice storyline that had already been remade 2 times before this from the original play!


     The four musical numbers are what really got me though. The first, my favorite, "We're In the Money" is a shimmering spectacle of glitter and gold with Ginger at the helm. The camera angles take some interesting turns, too, as the tune bounces along. Ginger even shows her skill by singing a verse in Pig Latin! Isn'thay hattay oolcay?
     The next number, "Pettin' In The Park" is nothing too fantastic, but it's cute, I'll admit.It does feature a runaway baby who would have to just be a midget.
      Then comes the most astounding number, "The Shadow Waltz". It starts out as any typical performance of the day, but bounds into a magnificent dance number, full of kaleidoscopic visions, spiraling staircases, dancing girls, and neon violins!It has to be watched to be believed. I was in awe the entire time. I think Florenz Ziegfeld would have been proud.Watch "The Shadow Waltz" on Youtube!
     Finally, comes the most gripping, Carol's torch song, "My Forgotten Man". It is one of the most poignant musical numbers I have ever witnessed. The images of the endlessly marching soldiers behind Joan Blondell as she belts it is haunting, as is the graphically wounded soldiers marching slowly down a neverending pathway. Even though the film ends happily, this final scene/musical number leaves a cold, desolate feeling.
     Overall, it's a delightful film, even if the tiniest bit weak on plot. This is one I will watch and rewatch again! All of the musical numbers are available online, too!

Thanks everyone!
- Electric "Mi'way niway hetay oneymay ownay" Phonograph

No comments:

Post a Comment